SUSTAINABILITY IN PRODUCT DESIGN
The concept of sustainability is part of our present and future way of life. Therefore, design must focus on creating sustainable and environmentally friendly products as a pillar of its inception and guide in its further development and manufacture.
Design, development, manufacture and staging of each product aimed at the contract channel, the project and interior design in general, have a global and collaborative sustainable approach that does not go unnoticed by any of the design professionals, whose ultimate goal is to create spaces and environments that gather and capture increasingly committed users and inhabitants.
As manufacturers and designers, at Mobboli, we have the responsibility and obligation to minimise our environmental impact by creating sustainable, eco-designed products, with a careful selection of recycled and recyclable materials, making efficient use of them, reducing our carbon footprint and presenting products with a long useful life that can only be achieved by taking great care with the quality of the product. This sustainable concern is shared with all the collaborators and prestigious designers with whom the brand works, as well as with its own team.
At Mobboli we are fully aware of the priority that sustainability must have in today’s world and of our responsibility to preserve the well-being of our present and future generations. That is why the sustainability of our products is part of our DNA in our essence and in our origin. It is not possible to conceive the brand without being linked to this concept.
Mobboli was born at the end of 2018 as a fresh, young and contemporary concept that understands the new codes of modern society. And that is why we tell you how we understand and apply the concept of sustainability.
Mobboli understands sustainability from three basic principles: economic, social and ecological. There is no sustainability that does not take into consideration these three principles, which are necessary and merge into one with an ecological approach as a priority.
Sustainability in the design of products implies thinking about responsible savings from their conception: savings in materials, energy, transportation and movements, fuels; it implies thinking about optimising resources, taking advantage of volumes and weights that allow the reduction of the carbon footprint, which ultimately minimise the environmental impact as much as possible. A saving and continuous search for efficient improvements, which is the basis of eco-design. In other words, ecological sustainability that entails economic sustainability.
But a sustainable product must also be timeless and of high quality, so that it lasts over time and is kind to the environment and the user. Only those products that have a long useful life are truly socially and ecologically sustainable.
This is how we at Mobboli understand sustainability in product design and how we put it into practice to add value to the chain. When we talk about product sustainability, we think about it from the very idea and conception to the end of its useful life. We design and develop the product under eco-design regulations with all that this entails; we manufacture avoiding intermediaries and transfers of goods and components as much as possible, based on national manufacturing, products manufactured in Spain, eco-designed products…
We understand the social sustainability of a product design that provides physical, mental and emotional well-being, providing timeless products that fit in timeless spaces and that are maintained over time, so that people do not have the need to change every so often because they get tired, it goes out of fashion, or because it wears out prematurely… in Mobboli we look for products that provide such well-being that the user has no desire to get rid of it. Only from this perspective does sustainability make sense. Even the possibility of a second life through recycling brings this value.
We understand the responsibility of the production process, to use materials and production processes with the lowest level of toxic emissions with the implementation of an environmental management system based on ISO 14001 and eco-design based on ISO 14006.
In the year 2021, environmental awareness has become relevant and the concept of sustainability has become a priority for the world of design.
To sum it up, we highlight below the main characteristics that Mobboli presents through its sustainable collections.
- Use of recycled and/or recyclable materials, raw materials and low polluting components. An example of this is the selection of upholstery such as Just of Gabriel or the latest addition of Velvet Plus, which join a collection that offers a wide range of possibilities in a sample book committed to the environment without neglecting quality and design.
- Use of materials that respect the overexploitation of limited natural resources, such as the control of the wood chain of custody (FSC). As a manufacturer and marketer of design furniture mostly made of wood, a renewable and recyclable natural material, Mobboli is faithfully committed to the consumption of wood from well-managed forests: in an environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and technically feasible way. For this reason, the brand strives to obtain certificates that highlight Mobboli’s commitment, such as the FSC certificate already awarded to the HUG, PEACH and CAP collections, in order to satisfy the needs of our users, providing value to society and generating the smallest possible footprint on the environment.
- Production processes with the least possible environmental pollution. With measurement of gas emissions to minimise them. A clear example of this at Mobboli is the selection of its finishes, avoiding those that may have a greater environmental impact, such as chrome finishes.
- Internalised production process avoiding intermediaries and local and international transfers of goods. A key step in the eco-design study of our collections, which allows the brand to reduce the environmental impact, as well as time and costs, having total control of the product from its conception to its delivery, use and end of life cycle.
- To create products that last over time due to their quality and timelessness. A task that Mobboli not only executes through its designs, but also in their planning. Our products have a guarantee of 5 years, and we are firmly committed to the continuity of the product and its spare parts in the market for a minimum of 10 years, in order to minimise the use of natural resources. In addition, the product manufacturing process is certified to ISO 14001 standards, and all products are designed and developed according to Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
At Mobboli we lead the way towards sustainability within the contemporary furniture design industry. We work on the innovation of our collections while maintaining our standards of design, quality and sustainability.